* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1 cup buttermilk
* 1/4 cup butter, melted
* 1 cup all-purpose flour
* 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 tablespoon white sugar
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 2 egg whites
* 1 pinch ground cinnamon
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, vanilla, buttermilk and butter until well blended. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, salt and cinnamon; stir into the buttermilk mixture. In a separate bowl, whip the egg whites with an electric mixer until stiff. Fold into the batter.
3. Spoon batter onto the hot waffle iron, close, and cook until golden brown. Waffles are usually done when the steam subsides.
1 2/3 cup 2% milk
2 tablespoons white sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
¼ teaspoon salt
3 egg yolks
1 drop almond extract or 1 tablespoon amaretto
1. Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add sbrow sugar, cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly with a whisk. Stir in ¼ cup evaporated milk. Bring to a boil and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
2. heat 2% milk in a heavy saucepan over medium heat until almost boiling. (180 degrees)
3. Combine white sugar cornstarch, salt and egg yolks in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Stir in hot 2% milk and ¾ cup evaporated milk. Add milk mixture to brow sugar mixture. Bring to a boil over medium heat, and cook for 2 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly with a whisk. Remove from heat, cool to room temperature. Stir in amaretto. Pour the sauce into bowl, cove and chill.
From The Best of Cooking Light 2
Top with fruit. I used frozen strawberries thawed, heated and thickened with a bit of corn starch.
Sorry about the dirty plate in the picture. I didn't think of taking a picture until we were almost done eating.